Friday, May 7, 2010

First Days Ride 04/16/10





Let the Adventure from Coast to Coast Begin!










Saturday April 16, 2010

Hello everyone.

I have finally begun my adventure across the U.S. and southeastern Canada. My brother Pete drove me to Santa Monica pier where pictures were taken on Saturday departure day.

Santa Monica pier is actually the end of the road of old Rt 66 given the name "Mother road". Her begining are at the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Illinois. It's a piece of American History which began in 1926 traveling through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California to help create a distribution of America's population from the areas affected by the great depression to new areas of the west. The route journey west following the railroad tracks which created businesses along the route increasing travel prompted by the post war economic boom. Motel, restaurants, gas stations, novelty shops created miles of signs that marked the way of Route 66. The novel Grapes of Wrath written by John Steinbeck and made into a now classic movie gave Rt 66 its popularity. His story tells of the many people in the forties who suffered while traveling west in search of new beginnings due to the depression. The life of Rt 66 lay dormant until the 50’s when recording artist Bobby Troup resurfaced the Mother Road in his song "Get your kicks on Rt 66" (Nate King Cole also sang it). In the fifties, freeways were introduced as the main through fare putting an end to the Mother Road. Hwy 40 now covers most of the old road traveling through all the States eliminating many towns that once boomed with business and the courageous people who endured the hardships of their time. Sorry, I thought a little history might give a little understand why I’ve decided to take this route. It's the history. I'll be history one day so why not travel with the spirits of the past. Ha, ha

Pete saw me off at 7 am with more pictures, a hug and words of caution.

The first five miles weren’t too bad. I had the road to myself, a cool breeze and smooth road. All of sudden I'm dodging ruts, pot holes, uneven concrete on a road in what I thought would have been in better condition. Why not? I was traveling Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood and the Heart of L.A . Choosing not to travel Sunset Blvd as it would have been a side trip up somesteep hills I remained on 66 pasting the arch of dragons in China town and awakening merchants on the famous Alvera St. There's much more to see but as the day moved on so did the heat. Living in San Jose, I've adapted to the comfort of 70 degree weather as the norm. So when cool weather gave in to 80 degree heat I was concentrating on cooling off and my destination San Bernardino. Traffic along the Route was very heavy and it saddened me to see how progress has taken away the open spaces between the then small cities Pasadena, Arcadia, Monrovia, Azusa, San Dimas, Claremont, Upland, Fontana, and Rialto . I remember miles of wine vineyards between cities while riding my bicycle in 1972 up this same Route. The famous Brown Derby restaurant out on the edges of Fontana, old wineries and fruit stands gave way to progress and a growing copulas. Due to fast convenient stores, new restaurants, shopping centers and blocks of residential homes throughout this old route, a bike rider no longer needs to carry water.

The highlight of this ride today came during a stop at McDonalds. I met the Vasquez family. I was dehydrating and needed something to eat. After ordering I purposely went over to the table next to where Johnny, the father was a sitting alone. He was vigilantly watching over his three children. Johnny asked where I was riding to. When I told him of my journey he was surprised and with wide eyes began asking questions of bike composition, gearing and setup for camping gear. His three children, Isaiah age 10, Jordan age 8, and Victoria age 7 who were very polite and loving with each other joined in the conversation with excitement. I let them try on my helmet showing them the use of the my third eye mirror (a small mirror which is clipped on the helmet visor). They wanted to see my maps and were amazed at the distance I would be traveling. Johnny was very supportive of their inquiries. I had to tell them how impressed I was of their openness, happiness and love for each other and that this display was an extension of their parents love. Jordan said they are like this all the time and the other two concurred with a big smile. Johnny inserted that he tells them how lucky they are to still have their parents together. Johnny asked if they could keep in touch. I suggest e-mail but he does not have computer. I give him my cell number and suggested he buy California map and call so the kids could travel with me by phone. I have a habit of giving the sign of the cross on the foreheads of children and did so to the three before l left. Johnny shook my hand vigorously and said thank you. (I was the thankful one). They made feel special after I left them. I had ridden about a quarter of a mile when they passed in their car yelling “By John” and waving with smiles. I watch them fade in the distance with other passing car’s and give my thanks for another wonderful encounter with validation of good people in this world.

I called Johnny to get the ages of his children on Sunday while writing this journal. I again thanked him. He shared with me his upbringing. His mother had him while she was serving time in prison. He was brought up by his god parents for the most part and biological parents when they were out of prison. He stated he did drugs himself and other things he is not proud of. It was after he married that he changed and committed himself to being the parent he never had. “Everything I do, I do for them”. When I reflect seeing his smile yesterday I understand his pride and love for his children. I had to reiterate what I said to him yesterday, “Whatever you and your wife are doing, don’t change because it’s working”. We said our good-by with him having the last word. My children will be praying for you every night.

I shared a wonderful meal with my brothers and sisters on Sunday afternoon at the home of our parents. We are a loving family and never let an opportunity slip by without expressing it for each other. They think I’m a little crazy doing this alone but then they know I’m just being John and I love them for it.

I’ll be leaving San Bernardino tomorrow morning for Barstow hopefully around 6am. Till then take care.

Old man across U.S

No comments:

Post a Comment