Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 23 - Weatherford, OK to Yukon onto Oklahoma City










Day 23

6-24-10

Weatherford to Yukon 63 miles

I left Weatherford at six thirty am with a light breakfast. The land was becoming dense with trees and more farm homes. There were more valleys with creeks and ponds. I was riding both the I-40 and Route 66 taking advantage of the lesser evils between the two when I saw which side has the least of steep rollers. I passed open land with cows and horses grazing along the way and had the road to myself when I was on Route 66. Because of the density of vegetation the humidity became more evident when descending into the valleys of the many rollers. The air became still and thick with moisture due to the small creeks and water ponds. It seemed the closer I got to Yukon the worse the climate got. I was told that Hydro would have a restaurant; they were not entirely wrong because the restaurant building was there but out of business.

So I moved on past Hinton and across the Canadian River getting off at the next exit where there was a truck stop and the Cherokee Restaurant. I was not certain where to park my bike. The first person walking out I asked what side of the building the restaurant was operating. She, in turn, said park your bike to the left by any one of the windows. Following her instructions I left my bike and walked into the restaurant where I sat myself and waited patiently. My waitress would be the very person asked outside of the building – Debbie. Debbie took my order, brought me coffee while asking a question or two in between regarding my journey. She stated she was writing a book of all the interesting people she has met over the past four years. She disappeared and up came Betty. She was an elderly woman in her late seventies with a smile showing her vim and vigor. She had no qualms in looking me up and down and making reference to that reason for her presence. So much so that when I asked, “Would you like me to stand up?” She stated, “Yes.” And I did so. She took the sight of my body all in, and we both laughed as she departed. Both reappeared shortly before I left thanking me for coming in, and sharing my adventures with them. Debbie stated, “We paid for your breakfast, so you owe the restaurant nothing.” I thanked both of them with a hug and a kiss while stating I would return with new riding gear to model. The three of us laughed as I left.

Well, I was back on the road again, and although I am recharged with fuel and rehydrated, the sun was still working on getting me to quit, but I pushed on and stop at a Denny’s after 10 miles of riding. I walked in ordering a tea settling at a table with two young men sitting in a booth to my right, and grandparents with their grandchildren in a booth next to them. I could not help but notice they were staring as I was settling. I broke the ice by saying, “How y’all doin?” They in turn responded, “Good, how y’all doin?” The two young men began the conversation with, “Where y’all comin from?” And I, in turn, shared with them my journey. The grandparents behind them joined in the conversation asking about the people along the way. As I stated to them, for the most part everyone I encountered were absolutely wonderful human beings. Most were captivated by the lone journey and the sights of the states that I traveled through. I could only let them know ending our conversation that the experience is once in a lifetime. Unfortunately, the grandparent couple left before getting their names, and the two young men turned out to be Danny Mills and Robert Smith. I noticed Danny had a defensive demeanor with very little facial expression. On the other hand, Robert spoke with a smile showing an excitement in the conversation. Me being assertive in wanting to know why, I asked Danny if he was upset with anything I might have said because I noticed his apprehensiveness in being comfortable and free flowing in his conversation. He looked at me and stated, “For the most I ‘m one that won’t take a trust in people right away.” This time he shared he was a 7 year veteran of the Marines serving in the Iraq War still dealing with the events of that time. You learn to be very apprehensive and not trust anyone but your buddies you’re serving with.” Robert and I listened with my replying, “I can understand your feelings and am happy I asked because I am going to say something that I don’t want you to be offended by. In some way you have to let go and be yourself; not everyone you meet is out to do you harm. Don’t lose out on the opportunities and experiences of the good people that want to get to know you.” In reply he said, “I know. It’s just a habit.” This seemed to relax our remaining time in conversation, because Danny began to show the life in his eyes and facial expressions with smiles. Robert, originally from West Oregon, asked personal questions of my home, reasons for the trip and the route to finish. Both were eager in redirecting me onto the original Route 66 due to highway construction which would have slowed me down on the way to my destination, El Reno. Both were on their lunch break, but before leaving they gave me their emails stating they were interested in keeping up with my travels. We shook hands and I thanked them for the company and making my afternoon a bright one after all. I sat for a moment when Danny returned telling me they had picked up my tab. I stood up and shook his hand once again thanking him very much. He, in turn, said, “Thank you.”

So off I went riding into El Reno arriving with time to spare, so I contacted my nephew Michael Kirkpartick. It was only eleven miles to his town Yukon, so I decided to take my chances and finish the day at his home. I said to myself, “What’s eleven more miles after riding 42?” Unfortunately, I did not take into account the distance to his house once I got there! I called Michael when I got to the city limits, and while he was giving me direction it was in miles, not blocks. It was then that I was told that I had at least eight miles to go. Believe me, I wanted to drop. The humidity had risen a little more and the sun got A LOT HOTTER. Michael said he would have a cold, cold beer waiting. Yes, it gave me inspiration and after some real solid rollers and long country stretches I finally made it to the refrigerator with beer -- I mean, to Michael’s house. Most of all the house was absolutely cool. My first words after I felt the cool air hit me when the door was opened to greet me were, “ I’M IN HEAVEN!” I showered first, then settled to enjoy that refreshing cool taste of beer. By the way, Oklahoma has a three per cent alcohol limit on domestic beer. So, of course, I had two to make my California six. They were good.

Staying with Michael, his wife Rochelle and their two beautiful daughters Serena 2 years, Anna 3 months, was an absolute delight. Watching and listening to Serena run through the house laughing and teasing the dog and cats, and Anna in her silence yet in awakening moments while grasping for her play carousels or watching the house pets in delight. The simple sounds of life resurrected the joy of the wonderful moments with my daughters. If I could I would have them babies all over again. That’s my selfish side speaking. How I love them. It was wonderful spending time with Michael and Rochelle conversing of work and vacations to be. I had a very special visit in their home with Michael’s father and mother Earl and Anna ended with a very rewarding and delicious dinner. A family dinner with all their children and grandchildren at Olive Garden was filled with laughter, good food and drink. Most importantly, family love. Together with us were the six adopted additions by Christina and Trish, Michael’s two sisters. I am so proud to be a part of a family where concern for the welfare of children is demonstrated through their actions and commitment, which speaks louder than words. A visit to the site of the Oklahoma bombing was again solemn. The unanswered question is always there, Why? Only humans have the choice to be productive and yet destructive with beliefs of self righteousness.
Michael and Rochelle thank you for your hospitality, the food, drink and most of all the opportunity to share time with the family. Michael the extra eight miles was worth it. Thank you to all the Kirkpatrick family for a wonderful visit and introduction to our new family members. Love you all very much.

OKLAHOMA CITY
Oklahoma City was established in 1889 during one of the Land Run Events common to the region. Before the US Government was forced to hold a series of the land runs, there were already families dwelling on the land “ squatters” and because they were already occupying the territory they were given the name “Sooners” so the birth of Oklahoma Sooners. At the time of the land run over 10,000 homesteaders settled in the town that would become the capital of Oklahoma. Familiar to most historians is the relocation of the Native Americans to the Oklahoma Territory in the 1820s, also known as the “Trail of Tears.” The US Government forced five tribes to endure a very difficult resettlement into the lands of Oklahoma, and many died during the process.
Before World War II Oklahoma City developed major stockyards and with the discovery of oil in 1928 became the center for oil production. As with many other cities in the United States, the population declined during the 70s and 80s as families moved to the suburbs. In 1993, however, the largest and most aggressive city redevelopment plan was put into effect, and as a result the downtown area has seen a resurgence with businesses and residents.

Tomorrow Oklahoma City to Chandler

Take care and luv ya all

Old man with a smile and not yet melted


No comments:

Post a Comment